Leek, Potato & Carrot Soup
1 Leek, about 6oz / 175g
1 tbs sunflower oil
3 cups vegetable bouillon
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp ground cumin
1 garlic clove, crushed
6 oz / 175 g potatoes
4 oz / 125 g carrot
salt and pepper
fresh basil and parsley to garnish
- Trim off and discard some of the coarse green part of the leek, then slice thinly and rinse thoroughly in cold water. Drain well.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the leek and garlic, and cook over low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until soft but barely colored. Add vegetable bouillon, bay leaf and cumin and the season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to boil, stirring constantly.
- Add the diced potato to the pan, cover and simmer over low heat for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add carrot and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Adjust the seasoning, discard the bay leaf, and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley and basil.
- TO MAKE A PUREED SOUP -First process the leftovers (½ of the original soup) in a blender or food processor. Return to a clean pan with the milk. Bring to boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and stir in the cream or sour cream before serving sprinkled with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Per Serving: 156 calories; 6 g fat; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 7 g sugars.
Recipe by:Practical Potato
Photo Credit:Rita E pixabay.com