Jelly Roll is traditionally a light, airy cake that is rolled with a variety of fillings. The choice of fillings are up to you in this recipe- but any flavor of jam or jelly is delicious! JELLY ROLL
2 tablespoons fine white sugar or powdered sugar
(or amount needed for rolling and sprinkling)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
¾ cup favorite jelly or preserves
¼ cup cold water
1 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375° degrees F. Lightly sprinkle clean towel with fine white sugar or powdered sugar, (your choice) – set aside. Generously grease and lightly flour 15×10 x 1-inch baking pan.
- In large bowl, beat eggs at highest speed until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in water and pure vanilla extract.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt, blend at low speed just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spread batter evenly in greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 375° degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Run a knife around sides of cake and loosen edges immediately invert onto sugared side of towel. Starting with shorted end, roll up cake in towel, cool completely on wire rack – at least 30 minutes.
- When cake is cooled, unroll, remove towel. Spread cake with jelly, roll up again, rolling loosely to incorporate filling. Wrap in foil or waxed paper. Store in refrigerator. If desired, serve sprinkled with additional powered sugar.
– You can be creative with your choice of filling. You can use, Nutella, buttercream frosting, mousse, ice cream, peanut butter, whipped cream with chopped strawberries, mascarpone cheese.
– It is important to use the right size and shape of pan, though if you don’t have quite the right size pan, it means that the cooking time will need adjusting. For instance – the cake pan is slightly bigger then suggested, the will be thinner and will cook more quickly.
Photo Credit pixabay.com.