Delicious Coconut Chocolate Squares or Lamingtons (also known in Europe/Balkans as čupavci) –are small sponge cakes dipped in chocolate, and covered with coconut. My son would called them “Fuzzy’s”
2 cups (300 gr) flour
150 grams of sugar
½ cup of milk
2 tsp baking powder
6 oz oil (180 ml)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup of milk
10 oz dark chocolate
½ tsp rum (optional)
8 tbs butter (125 gr)
7 oz (200 gr) shredded coconut
1.For the batter divide the eggs. Beat the egg whites first, set aside. Beat the egg yolks with sugar and vanilla (about 5 minutes).
2. Add milk, butter and mix slowly for another minute. Now start adding flour, baking powder at a low speed. At the end fold in the egg whites by hand until just combined.
3. Pour the batter into the cake pan (9 x 13” lined with parchment paper). Bake 23 to 25 minutes at 375 F until the top starts getting golden yellow color. If your toothpick comes out clear they’re finished. Generally they turn light brown. Remove from the oven and place it on a cooling rack.
4. When the cake has cooled down completely, cut it horizontally into two halves. Now cut the whole cake into squares. (24 squares).
5. To make chocolate coating; In a microwave-safe bowl, place chopped chocolate and milk. Heat for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth. The chocolate should be on the thin side but not runny. Set aside to cool slightly.
6. Quickly dip all sides of the squares into chocolate, then in coconut.( It gets a little messy) Make sure every side is well coated in coconut. Let them rest for about an hour. They are best served at the room temperature! Store covered in the refrigerator. Enjoy!