CHOCOLATE AND WALNUT BUNS
Treat yourself! Easy dessert that get all the compliments. Now you can make the best homemade Chocolate & Walnuts buns right at home.
4 cups All-purpose flour
1 envelope active dry yeast
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (chopped)
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
½ cup water
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup to finish (optional)
For the FILLING
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
¼ packed cup light brown sugar
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup chopped walnuts
1. Grease a deep 9-inch spring-form cake pan. Stir the cinnamon and flour into a bowl, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
2. Stir in the yeast and sugar. Beat the egg yolk, in a cup, with the water and milk, then stir into the dry ingredients to make a soft dough.
(Don’t kill the yeast with water that is too hot. If you are using dry active yeast, it will need to be mixed with warm water. Yeast feeds on sugar.)
3. Kneed until smooth, then roll out to about 16 x 12 inches. Brush with melted butter.
4. To make the filling, sprinkle the dough with the brown sugar, walnuts and chocolate chips.
5. Roll up the dough from a long side like a jelly roll, then cut into 12 thick even sized slices.(or 24 small)
6. Pack the slices closely together in the prepared cake pan. Cover and leave in a warm place for 1 ½ hours or until doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
(Preheating an oven is especially important with baking when you use yeast)
7. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, until well golden brown and transfer to a wire rack.
8. To finish (optional) spoon the maple syrup over the cake. Pull the pieces apart to serve. Enjoy!
photo credit ; gratitudeismine.com